Friday, September 8, 2017

September 8, 1967: Alligator Knotts

Diary entry for September 8, 1967:


We drove to Buena Park today. First visited Alligator Farm and then Knott's Berry Farm. We enjoyed it all. Bought souvenirs again. Ate lunch in grill at Knott's - very good food. Took pictures.

Mom always told me the first place I wanted to take Nana was the Alligator Farm. Not Disneyland. Not Marineland. Not the place we had already visited three times, Knott's Berry Farm. Nope. I wanted to take Nana to The Alligator Farm. I don't know how thrilled she was to see the alligators chomping each other at feeding time, but she probably enjoyed watching me have such a good time.

Since this was our fourth trip to Knott's Berry Farm I'll take this opportunity to present some more items from there. First up we have the menu from the Ghost Town Grill at Knott's Berry Farm.




The front of it has a very detailed drawing of an old west town with a prospector walking a mule down the street. At the very bottom in parenthesis it says "Take me home I am fun to color." But I have my doubts regarding how fun this would really be for most children to color, given all the detail, shading, etc.

Here are some sample prices from the inside of the menu, which I did not scan:

- Pioneer Beef Stew: $1.75 (That's the most expensive item on the menu.)

- Chicken Liver Plate: $1.50

- Cheeseburger Sandwich: 95 cents

- Hot Dog with French Fries: 60 cents

- Hot Fudge Sundae: 50 cents

- Milk Shakes (Boysenberry, Chocolate, Pineapple, Vanilla, or Strawberry): 35 cents

- All drinks were 15 cents.

One dollar in 1967 bought about as much $7.29 today. One dollar today buys about as much as 14 cents did in 1967.

Fun Fact: In 1932, a horticulturist named Ralph Boysen gave Walter Knott the last few dying vines of a hybrid berry plant he had created but was unable to make a commercial success. The vines eventually thrived under the care of Walter Knott, who was able to sell them from his berry farm. He named this new berry boysenberry.

Next is the back side of the Ghost Town Grill menu, which includes a very detailed hand-drawn map of Knott's Berry Farm with an alphabetical listing of buildings and attractions on the left side. (For some reason the Ghost Town Grill is not listed there.) The map has numbers across the top and letters along the side, providing the grid coordinates for each item listed.




Knott's Berry Farm was huge, and now we know how huge. According to the back of this menu Knott's Berry Farm had 200 acres of restaurants, entertainment, shops and free parking. According to Wikipedia it now has 160 acres and no free parking.

Last but not least, the August 26 diary entry mentioned me sitting on top of a giant turtle at Jungleland, and I mentioned the photo album had a picture of me sitting on a giant turtle at Knott's Berry Farm. I'm sure you were all disappointed I didn't post the picture at that time. Well, your wait is over. Here it is.




That's Mom in the background wearing the dark dress and holding a white purse.




Not a bad couple of days so far with Nana in town. Let's see what we do this weekend . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment