Sunday, September 24, 2017

September 24, 1967: Got pics?

Diary entry for September 24, 1967:


We bought more film then went to La Brea Tar Pits and took pictures. Then we drove to Santa Monica Beach and took more pictures. Came home and took more pictures to send to family.

Based on the clothing worn by me and my parents it looks like seven pictures from today's trips to La Brea Tar Pits and Santa Monica Beach made it into the photo album, and I have already posted two of them. Those two were posted on August 28, and they are both from La Brea Tar Pits. One was just a lake of tar with an elephant statue in the background, and the other one was the picture of me and Mom, with Mom's awesome hairdo. Here is the one of me and Mom to refresh your memory. You'll need this for reference later.




Luckily for you loyal readers I am in all five of the remaining pictures from this day, so you get to see them all. We'll start with the La Brea Tar Pits series since we went there first, and then we'll look at the ones from Santa Monica Beach.

Here is another picture of me and Mom at La Brea Tar Pits, obviously in the same outfits as the previous photo.




I like to zoom in on these photos to look for interesting details. In the upper left of this photo you'll see what I'm calling a grassy knoll (hey, I'm from Dallas). If you zoom in on that area you'll see four well-dressed people sitting on a bench.




Why is that bench positioned such that the tree is right in front of it?

Next up is a picture of me and Dad at La Brea Tar Pits.




When I zoomed in on this one the detail I noticed was the cigarette in Dad's right hand.




I don't think Dad put quite as much effort as Mom did into dressing up for Picture Day.

Now let's go to Santa Monica Beach, 45 minutes away if you take Wilshire Blvd. First up is me in a tree.




If you look closely you may notice that I'm not smiling in that one like I am in the others. I think I was in a bit of a precarious position, barely keeping myself from falling forward with both of my arms fully extended and my right arm slightly behind me. Poor kid.




"Oh please, hurry up and take the picture so I can get down from here."

Also, how in the heck did my left sock get so dirty, and in that pattern? It wasn't that dirty in the pictures from La Brea Tar Pits.


Next is a picture of me and Dad with the beach in the background.




For those of you playing "Where's the cigarette?" it's in Dad's left hand this time.





Last is a picture of me and Mom with the beach in the background, probably only a few yards from where Dad and I were standing.




Before moving forward, let's take another look at the first picture of this post, the closeup of me and Mom at La Brea Tar Pits taken earlier that same day.




Now look at the beach photo of me and Mom again. Notice anything different? I'll zoom in to show you my favorite part of the beach photo. Look at Mom's hair and her body language.




That cracked me up when I first noticed it. I can just imagine her writing letters in the morning, then we had lunch, then she got dressed up and spent who knows how long doing her hair and makeup before we went to La Brea Tar Pits. Then we spent who knows how long looking for good picture spots, then we drove 45 minutes to Santa Monica Beach and spent who knows how long looking for good picture spots there. The darkness of the beach photos may or may not have been due to the time of day, but she was definitely not her perky made-up self in that last picture. This is one of those times where I would love to be able to ask her "What were you thinking while Dad was taking this picture?" Here's my guess: "I'm pregnant, my back hurts from standing for pictures all day, my hair's a mess due to this wind, and it's getting dark. I want to go home."

No comments:

Post a Comment