Tuesday, September 26, 2017

September 26, 1967: What an invention!

Letter postmarked (and dated) September 26, 1967:

The CCZCC now stands at 3.

"Dear Mother,"

"Just a note to inform you of our latest buying spree. A Polaroid camera - less than $100, but not much less. Dave is just like a kid with it and says over and over, "What an invention!" David Wayne is still a big ham and he is really enjoying the posing. I am enclosing a picture of David Wayne with his bank collection and his turtle, Snappy. We all are enjoying the camera even if it is expensive. Oh well, we needed to go on a diet anyway!"

[Too bad I don't have that picture Mom sent in this letter.]

[Ok, let's assume Mom was exaggerating and the price of the Polaroid camera was only $70. That is still about $511 in 2017 dollars. Every $10 above that in 1967 is an additional $73 in today's money. So, wow, Dad really spent a lot of money on that camera, like spending between $500 and $700 today. It sounds like he really enjoyed it, so that's good. And I know for certain it was put to good use.]

[I don't know how long Dad had that particular Polaroid camera, but it seems like he always had one while we were growing up. I know he had a Polaroid at least into the mid 1980s because whenever one of my sisters would be picked up at the house for the first time by a new date, Dad would take their picture together. Since it was a Polaroid camera, they had to wait for it to develop so they knew Dad had a picture of them before they left the house. Just in case . . .]

"Speaking of weight . . . I went to the doc yesterday and I hadn't gained an ounce. Dave looks more pregnant than I do or even will in seven months. A big flu (Asian variety) epidemic is in store this year, so the doctor gave me and David Wayne a flu shot and Dave has to get one, too. My infection looks a lot better so the good doctor says. The flu shots will cost $30 so it's about time I had some good news."

[I guess the Asian flu is nothing new.]

[Yes, my dad always seemed to have a belly on him, not real big, but a belly nonetheless. You may have noticed it in some of the pictures already posted. But he definitely wasn't a big guy by any means. I guess all his extra weight was just concentrated in one spot.]

"Keep Mike in line, work as little as you can get by with, and write soon."

"Love,
Linda"

"P. S. - I bought a photo album this morning, but I don't think I can put the pictures in as fast as Dave takes them! I also bought David Wayne a world globe this morning. He is having a good time with it and can already find Los Angeles and Dallas."

No comments:

Post a Comment