Thursday, September 7, 2017

September 7, 1967: Shop 'til you drop

Diary entry for September 7, 1967:


Took Mother to Olvera Street. Ate lunch in a Mexican restaurant - very good food. Bought many things for souvenirs. Took pictures - had a good day. We were so full we didn't eat any supper, but Dave drove us to Chinatown that night. We went in many shops and again bought souvenirs.

Wow, that must have been some lunch if they were so full they skipped supper. It may sound like the souvenir budget was used up on the first day, but I doubt it was.

Here's a picture of me with my grandmother on Olvera Street.




I like the contrast between Nana dressed up like she was going to church, and me decked out in a Peanuts t-shirt and some swell plaid shorts. My shirt has the word "Happiness" in large letters over Snoopy's dog house, with Linus partially lying inside the dog house and Snoopy on top, I think. It's probably one of those "Happiness is" quotes, but I can't read anything else.

Hey, haven't we seen those plaid shorts before? Yes, I believe we have. In my post about Mom's July 25, 1967 diary entry I posted a picture of me standing in front of The Brown Derby restaurant.




I do believe I am wearing plaid shorts in that picture, too, but is it the same pair?

Here are closeups of my shorts in both photos.





Although you can't see the colors very well in the Brown Derby closeup, you can tell in both photos that darker stripes (blue) are on either side of the zipper. It's also the same number of stripes from there to my left pocket. Fabricated mystery solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment