Wednesday, September 20, 2017

September 20, 1967: Whole lotta Shakey goin' on

Diary entry for September 20, 1967:


Ed and Joyce brought kids over in PM and they stayed with me. David Wayne had a hard time playing with them. We all ate at Shakey's that night. David Wayne and Stephen had a lot of fun playing player piano.

Ed and Joyce had two children, Stephen and Stephanie. Stephen is about four years older than I am and Stephanie is a little older than Stephen. It sounds like I wasn't a great playmate at first with the older kids, but then once we got to Shakey's we had fun.

For those of you who don't know, Shakey's Pizza Parlor is a pizza place with sort of an old time Dixieland feel. I remember going to one in the Dallas area in the 1970s, and as I recall it had lots of games and a player piano playing ragtime music. Think of it as a Chuck E. Cheese geared toward older kids, but with good pizza. The pizza had a distinctive flavor I really miss. I think it was the cheese combination, because I've had some pizza in recent years, such as a three-cheese combination, that reminds me of Shakey's pizza. Unless you live near the west coast of the US, you'll need to go to Alabama, Hawaii, or Mexico City to find a Shakey's today.

No comments:

Post a Comment