Saturday, September 16, 2017

September 16, 1967: Turtle escapades

Letter postmarked September 16, 1967 (dated "Friday"):

This letter had no zip code. The CCZCC (Consecutive Correct Zip Codes Counter) is reset to zero. :-(

"Dear Mother,"

[Once again she forgot all about her little brother in the salutation.]

"We all enjoyed your visit so much that things have really been dull without you. At the airport we watched until the airplane took off. David Wayne was very good on the drive home and re-hashed all we had done. Catastrophe on reaching home - the turtle was gone! We searched everywhere and after 30 minutes found him in the stack of papers. Now, when we leave the apartment and at night we put the bowl in a paper sack. This is our turtle house."



[Here's the drawing of the turtle house she included in the letter. Now we know the turtle's name is Snappy. I guess those circles at the bottom of the sack are air holes. Hopefully they aren't big enough for Snappy to crawl through.]

"Dave was very unhappy at first with the newest addition to the family, but now he watches him and talks to him. David Wayne places the turtle in front of the TV so he (the turtle) can watch and not get bored."

[It doesn't surprise me that Dad talked to the turtle. He talked to all of our pets while we were growing up, especially the cats.]

[Like I mentioned a few days ago, let's hope I didn't let Snappy watch "The Great Escape" on TV.]

"We just hope someone was at the airport to meet you. Mike called Dave and asked him if _you_ had made arrangements with Wayne. Dave said he nearly fell out of his chair because he understood from Mike's letter that arrangements with Wayne were all fixed. I do hope you weren't stranded. Poor Dave, I bet he won't even talk on the phone any more - first my call about the baby and then Mike!"

["What . . . we got here . . . is a failure to communicate."]

"Thursday I had my hair cut. My operator offered to cut David Wayne's hair free. He says - hold on to your seat - that _my_ son is the best behaved child he ever saw in a beauty shop. He really was good. He is also going to lend me a card - a special club deal - to get 15 tickets at Disneyland for $4. The 15 tickets are good for any ride and you don't have A, B, C, D and E tickets."

[I'm guessing all that time I spent in my grandfather's barber shop made me all the more interested in what was going on at Mom's beauty shop. Oooh, we might be headed back to Disneyland!]

"Dave was really interested about Farmer's Market. I think we will probably go Saturday. We are going to send some more goodies. Gary, my beauty operator, said you can haggle down the prices in most of the stores. Also, he said that you could see many movie stars shopping there."

"I just checked the mail for today and I am very depressed - no letter. This makes three days in a row. Has everybody forgotten us? Is nobody excited about our baby?"

[Uh oh, Mom's already getting impatient for some correspondence from back home.]

"I will close for now. Write soon and put a fire under everyone else."

"Love, Linda"

"P. S. - I feel great physically."

No comments:

Post a Comment