Tuesday, September 19, 2017

September 19, 1967: More visitors

Diary entry for September 19, 1967:


Wrote letters in the AM and then slept in the PM. Ed and Joyce Kubala came at night. We enjoyed visiting with them.

This is pretty neat for many reasons. Ed Kubala was a coworker of my dad's at the Texas State Board of Insurance. He and his wife Joyce lived in Austin, and I assume Dad met Ed when he started working for the Board of Insurance there in the early 1960s. I don't remember Ed from when we lived in Los Angeles, but I do remember him visiting us from time to time while I was growing up in the 1970s, and my parents remained friends with them until my dad died in 1991. Ed was always a neat guy to have around. I could write several interesting anecdotes about him that would get us off track, but here's one.

Ed had a glass eye. It wasn't terribly obvious unless you were really close to him and looking him in the eyes, especially since he wore glasses. Whenever the subject of Ed's glass eye would come up (not while Ed was around) and someone would ask which eye was the glass eye, I always knew the answer because I had an easy way to remember it. Would you like to know how? Dad said he and Ed used to travel together via automobile, probably making trips to examine small insurance companies located in small Texas towns. (The aforementioned burial runs.) Dad said it was somewhat unsettling, especially the first time it happened, when Ed was driving and during a lull in the conversation Dad would glance over from the passenger seat and see Ed's glass eye staring up at the ceiling instead of straight ahead at the road. That's how I knew Ed's glass eye was his right eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment