Sunday, September 10, 2017

September 10, 1967: Busch Hippies

Diary entry for September 10, 1967:


Got a late start today. Went to Busch Gardens. It was too hot and too crowded. Couldn't ride monorail because of long line. We went on boat ride and saw a few birds. Left early.
Next, we got a watermelon and went to Griffith Park. Saw and heard hippies. David Wayne played on park equipment. Then on way [home] we drove down Hollywood Blvd. Saw Grauman's Chinese Theater.

Having gotten home from Disneyland at midnight last night, it's no wonder we got a late start today. That's a bummer about Busch Gardens being too crowded. I still need a bank from there, too.

This visit to Busch Gardens is what I was alluding to in the post on the September 3, 1967 diary entry, when I mentioned a future event that made me think Mom backed off on the alcohol consumption after she found out she was pregnant. She always liked to tell the story about how much Dad enjoyed this particular visit to Busch Gardens because they gave each adult visitor a free beer after going through the tour of the brewery. Since my grandmother didn't drink alcohol and Mom couldn't drink any because she was pregnant, Dad was very happy to get two extra beers at the end of the brewery tour. Anyone who knew my dad would have no doubts about the truthiness of that story.

I think Mom had previously mentioned that the hippies infiltrate Griffith Park on the weekends, so we were apparently victims of that today. Unfortunately there is no mention of whether or not I brought my guns with me.

Sunday didn't turn out quite as well as Saturday, but at least we tried and Nana got to see a little bit of Hollywood. We'll see what adventures unfold this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment