Wednesday, August 9, 2017

August 9, 1967: Sizzler

Diary entry for August 9, 1967:


I'm running fever this AM. Got letter from Linda and Mother. Afternoon went to see Barbara and Bee. Had a good time. Got home too late to cook supper so we ate out at Sizzler.
Mom's previous letter mentioned patrolling the mailbox every day, and it paid off today with not one but two letters. ("Linda" was my Aunt Linda, wife of my mother's older brother at the time.) I suppose today's equivalent of waiting for the mailman is staring at your phone waiting for someone to reply to your text message, or checking your email inbox every ten minutes.

Apparently Mom has some L. A. friends to visit now. I don't recall anyone named Bee, but I do recall a Barbara Hanson (Hansen?). She was married to one of my dad's coworkers. We spent a lot of time visiting with them. Barbara was diabetic, and one story I remember Mom telling was when she was having lunch with Barbara and some other friends, and Barbara's speech suddenly became slurred, sort of like she was drunk. Somehow Mom knew (perhaps Barbara had told her) that slurred speech was a sign of low blood sugar in a diabetic person, so she asked the waiter to bring Barbara a glass of orange juice. Barbara drank the orange juice and came right back.

Ooooh, eating at the Sizzler. Fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment