Sunday, August 20, 2017

August 20, 1967: A better parade

Diary for August 20, 1967:


We had a slow morning. Dave didn't feel too well. At 3:30 we left and went to Little Tokyo. We saw mostly crowds of people. This was Nisei Week celebration. There was a wonderful parade. The best I've ever seen because it was different. Bought a bank for David Wayne. Took pictures. We really enjoyed it.

It sounds like Dad may have caught whatever bug Mom had over the past several days.

"Nisei," a Japanese term meaning "second generation," refers to people born in North or South America whose parents were immigrants from Japan. Their children are referred to as "Sansei" (third generation).

Here's the web site for Nisei Week if you're interested: http://www.niseiweek.org/. It's a festival that started in 1934, took a little break from 1942 - 1948 thanks to Japanese internment camps, and is still going strong. In fact, the Grand Parade starts at 4 PM PT today. That's why I posted today's diary entry a little earlier than usual, so you still have time to get to the parade if you want to.

I think I remember the bank from Little Tokyo, but I don't know if I still have it.

I don't remember the parade, but thanks to the 75th anniversary photo gallery at the Nisei Week web site I know the grand marshals were actors Martin Landau and Barbara Bain, who were married at the time and starring in their second season on one of my all-time favorite TV series, "Mission: Impossible." (Tom Cruise was only five years old at the time, since he's six days older than I am.) Barbara Bain is still alive, but Martin Landau passed away just last month.




Another very active weekend for us. Let's see if we do anything this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment