Saturday, August 26, 2017

August 26, 1967: Kissed, bitten and gored

Diary entry for August 26, 1967:


We took David Wayne to Jungleland. He was kissed by a camel, bitten by a llama and gored by goats. He rode an elephant by himself and sat on top of a giant turtle. We saw a lion tamer show. Bought an elephant bank. Had a wonderful time!

Both of my parents absolutely loved to talk about this day at Jungleland many years later, always using the exact same wording Mom used in this diary entry: "kissed by a camel, bitten by a llama and gored by goats." (Alliteration is alluring.)

Before we get into those incidents, though, let's take a look at front and back of the Jungleland flyer Mom saved.


  


First, note that Jungleland was located in "smog-free" Thousand Oaks, California. Smog was clearly a big issue in some parts of southern California at the time.

As you can see, Jungleland was more than just a zoo. It opened in the 1920s after Universal Studios closed their animal facilities, and was used for holding and training many of the animals that appeared on movies and TV shows. Some of the more famous animals housed there included a couple of MGM lions, Mr. Ed the talking horse, and the chimpanzee from the Tarzan movies. Jungleland closed in 1969 due to competition from places like Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, and Universal Studios. The Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza is now located on the site.

Ok, back to our fun-filled day. I think the camel incident occurred as we were just walking along a pathway and a camel leaned over a fence and licked the side or top of my head. I don't think I even saw the camel until after I got licked. One of the pictures in the photo album has this caption: "The 2-humped camel at Jungleland - this was not the same one that kissed David Wayne."

I don't remember the llama incident, which is surprising because I'm sure I screamed and cried like crazy when I got bit. (Mynd you, llama bites Kan be pretti nasti . . .) Mom said there was a group of boys in front of us who had been harassing the llamas and trying to get the llamas to spit at them. I guess one of the llamas had had enough by the time I showed up and he decided I got a little too close, so he bit me. The caption of this photo is "It was one of these llamas that bit David Wayne at Jungleland."




That fence in front of those llamas does not look very high at all, maybe four feet at the most. If visitors could walk up to that fence, it's no wonder there was an incident. Since Jayne Mansfield's six-year-old son had been mauled by a lion there less than a year earlier during his birthday party (the boy survived), you'd think Jungleland might have been a little more concerned with the safety of their guests.

I'm guessing the goat incident occurred in the baby zoo section. Being only five years old I was probably just the right height to get poked by goat horns in various places. The photo album does have photos of each of us holding a baby goat.

I do remember riding the elephant, but there aren't any pictures of it. The photo album has a picture of me riding a giant turtle at Knott's Berry Farm, but not at Jungleland.

Here is a picture of me drinking from a lion head fountain with my dad standing behind me. He did not always look like he had just gotten home from work and taken off his jacket and tie.




In the lower right corner you can see the head of a llama that must have been stalking me. Hey, this is the first picture of either one of my parents I've published. There will be more for sure.

The addition of the elephant bank from Jungleland brings the bank count to four now.

No comments:

Post a Comment