Monday, January 29, 2018

January 29, 1968: Shasta twins

Letter postmarked January 31, 1968 (Part 2, written January 25 and 26):


We went on another picnic today at Griffith Park. Suzie and I both wore Bermuda shorts - that's how warm it is in L. A. on January 25! David Wayne had fun swinging, climbing, sliding and mostly building a fire to roast marshmallows over. On the way home we stopped to watch the filming of a Shasta Root Beer commercial. It's done in an old-timey setting with antique cars, old costumes, etc. We pointed out to David Wayne an old Keystone Cop outfit (rather I did, Suzie had never heard of Keystone Cops!) We really got a kick out of one part - a pie in the face scene. I couldn't believe all the trouble they went to just to film a commercial. There was a director, several cameramen, make-up man, etc., etc. - just like filming a full-length motion picture. And all these people acted like they were on camera, so aware of an audience I suppose.

[I found two Youtube links to that commercial, neither of which is very good quality. This one has the full commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_cZUzK_dqY. This one cuts off the beginning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adWmJ362Fu4. According to the description of the second one, this commercial "features original Keystone Cop and Walt Disney voice actor Billy Bletcher in one of his last screen credits." I could not find any verification that Billy Bletcher was ever a Keystone Cop, but he did appear in silent movies.]

[Unfortunately I don't remember watching the filming of this commercial at all, but I do remember seeing this commercial on TV. Whenever it would come on Mom would ask me if I remembered seeing it being filmed and I would sadly say no, even way back then.]

[The rest of this letter was written January 26, 1968.]


Today I guess we'll just stay home since I need to wash my hair.

[Good grief, is that an all-day task?]


Next week Barbara and I are taking David Wayne to lunch at the Brown Derby - he has wanted to eat at "the hat" ever since we got here. I'll have to get out and go to post office - we're out of stamps. I can't even mail this letter until I do that.
[I guess I was mistaken when I first started going through these letters when I thought we frequently ate at the Brown Derby.]
Take care of yourself and I hope you got all those folders graded. Oh, I've written you about how big David Wayne has gotten but I neglected to tell you that this ole' girl is pretty big, too. I just know I'm carrying twins - got to be! Everyone says I look like I'll have the baby just any day. And I'm really carrying this baby low - much too low for any comfort. If I stand, I'm too heavy to feel good and if I sit - well, I just can't for very long. It is completely impossible for me to bend over. If I drop anything on the floor either it stays or I have to call David Wayne to come pick it up for me. But I have been really lucky in that I didn't go through the morning sickness or have any leg cramps. (I did have those when I carried David Wayne.)


See y'all soon in good ole' Texas!


Love,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment