Wednesday, January 17, 2018

January 17, 1968: Seeing the end?

Letter postmarked January 18, 1968 (Part 1, dated January 16):

The CCZCC extends its winning streak to 18, which started back on November 9, 1967. Actually, the streak is really 19 now. Did we skip 18? No, but we duplicated number 4, unfortunately. I recently discovered that I did not update the CCZCC number with the November 21, 1967 letter. Sincerest apologies. I would tell you the responsible parties have been sacked, but you probably wouldn't believe me.


Dear Mother,
We got your letter yesterday and just howled over your dream. Dave said he'd be on the lookout for that red-headed man. I don't think he's worried about me and other men right now - not with my shape! I swear I'm carrying another 9 pound baby elephant.

[My birth weight was 8 pounds, 11 ounces. Yeah, I was a big baby.]


Since we haven't done anything since New Year's I have no news to write. I could comment on the nice weather we're having, but that might make you a wee bit jealous. I go to the doctor tomorrow so I'll probably finish this letter when I get home from the appointment.
I hope Mike is recovered from his cold or flu or whatever he had. He goes and does so much that it's a wonder he doesn't get really sick. I know he's young and all that, but he isn't made out of iron. He better be in good shape for our homecoming because David Wayne really has plans to "work him over."
And good news (Finally!) about our homecoming. Dave says that the end is in sight and that the examiner-in-charge told them yesterday to plan on leaving the end of February. I felt like flying a kite with "Jim McClay, I Love You!" on it. (McClay is the examiner-in-charge.) Of course, there could be a week or so delay, but that won't matter - I've made up my mind to wait and have the baby in Texas and that's what I'll just do. Also, I've told Dave that I won't have the baby until he buys my washing machine so we've got to get home in time for that, too. Evidently, my husband believes that I can decide WHEN and he's been on a big money-saving binge since I told him that.
I dare not tell David Wayne about a tentative date to come home. We bought a calendar yesterday and he is marking off each day. He's already picked out the boxes to pack his toys in (the best ones, of course) and he knows what he wants inside the car to play with. He thinks it's great that he and Daddy sit in the front seat while _I_ have to ride in the back alone. You see, neither have I mentioned anything about us flying. That will depend on when and what my doctor thinks is best.

[So the fly vs. drive question is still up in the air, but at least Dad's job in L. A. should be done well before Mom's due date in April. I'm sure that was a relief.]


I'm glad you got the sweater okay and I think a small will be fine. I had Dave try on the pajamas (also medium) and they are okay. David Wayne was tickled to death that he and Daddy have PJ's alike. Also, Mrs. Jennings sent David Wayne a blue sweater and David Wayne thought that was great. Now, I just hope you could find another blue one for Dave. It's funny, but since we've been out here, David Wayne has really copied Dave - he walks like him, picked up his expressions, eats like him most of the time, etc. I might not have ever noticed it, but the Hansens mentioned it and now I have been seeing it, too.
I made a terrible "goof" last night - I was telling Dave that we might go through a rough period of adjustment with David Wayne when the baby arrives. Trying to show him that it would be a natural circumstance I said, "It'd be the same if David Wayne were our child . . ." But I never finished, because Dave told me in no uncertain terms that he felt like David Wayne was "ours" and I was never to talk like that again. He also went on to say that he never wanted to hear the expression "half-brother or half-sister" used. Of course, I feel the same way, but it sure made me feel good that it came from Dave. I know it makes you as happy as it did me - even though he was put-out with me when he said it. Anyway, you have the word and if you know of anyone - Aunt Edna, perhaps? - who might unthinkingly say it, you better warn them how we feel. Now, I'm sure you know that we don't ever intend to fool David Wayne or try to lie to him, but Dave _is_ his father in every way except one - and you know how little that one thing has meant.

[That was an interesting and enlightening paragraph. I've mentioned before that my dad was not my biological father, who I have zero recollection of. I believe there was some visitation after the divorce, but I don't remember any. So my father was initially "Big David" to me (I was "Little David") and then he became "Daddy" after he and Mom married when I was four. He officially adopted me in August of 1968.]


Well, the postman delivered the package from Mike today and David Wayne is absolutely beside himself. I don't know how he knew (I didn't) but he said, "I bet this is my voodoo doll!" He has stuck that poor doll all afternoon and he takes it everywhere. You could never have found anything that he liked better. Did the doll come with the holes and pins or did you do those yourself? It's about the cutest thing we've ever seen. Tell Mike that when David Wayne saw his name he said, "Mike starts with the same letter as Monkey!"
I can't say I enjoyed hearing about all the wrecks and the icy roads, but it made us feel some good about being here. Is it really worse this year or are we just telling ourselves that - I know it's bad, Linda Kay wrote that it was so bad even Wayne didn't drive to work one day! To me, that told the complete extent.
If you could find the glass for the Mexican lanterns, that would be better. But that will require checking or calling places and when could you do it? I'll probably wait until closer to leaving time to get the glass, so if you can get it there let us know - but we will insist on paying for it.
I have no doubt that your house is in a mess with Taffy staying in. If she were only a short-haired dog, wouldn't she be a good house dog though? I mean she really is sweet and smart. I was telling the Hansens how you were spoiling her and Erland said, "When you get back to Texas, you'll have to get another dog and let your mother keep that one." Dave's quick reply was, "Ha, she'd get rid of me and David Wayne before she'd part with her dog." Dave has enjoyed telling people that I stole the dog from you. I look back on how she babysat David Wayne and I don't know - I just have a "special" feeling for her. Anyway, I do appreciate you taking care of her for me (us really) and just hope she hasn't been too much of a bother. After keeping the Dirr's pup though, I really feel like I've imposed on you.
Denton has really changed. I can hardly wait to get back and see for myself. I may not feel like driving around on a grand tour after the trip. And I know Dave is going to want to go to Belton, but I may have to insist that they visit us. I sure hate to be that way so I'll just wait and see how I feel. I can hardly believe Denton has grown up so much.
So Mike has changed his mind about becoming a lawyer, senator, President! I just hope he'll be happy in whatever he decides to do. Has he decided on a college yet? Wherever he goes, he'll have to cut out some running around and do his own reading and studying.

[You may recall there was mention of Uncle Mike's political aspirations in the September 24, 1967 letter. It looks like that changed in January for some reason. He took a totally different path in life, although there is a significant overlap in the skill sets if you think about it.]

[That's the end of Part 1 of this letter. Tomorrow we'll wrap it up with Part 2.]

No comments:

Post a Comment