Monday, January 1, 2018

January 1, 1968: Party Pooper

Letter postmarked January 4, 1968 (Part 3):

This part of the January 4 letter covers Sunday, December 31, 1967 and Monday, January 1, 1968. (New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.)


Sunday we went to Knott's Berry Farm. The girls wanted to go to Disneyland, but there just wasn't time - I had to be home by 7 o'clock to get ready for our New Year's party. The girls were supposed to meet us at a certain time and Mary just turned them loose. (Yes! I kept David Wayne with us.) Well, they didn't show up until about 40 minutes after the appointed time which made everything very rushed for me (like I didn't have time to change clothes, comb my hair, or put on lipstick for the party.) But our day at Knott's was a lot of fun and we even had one of those chicken dinners out there - delicious again!

[Yet another trip to Knott's Berry Farm. Here's a fuzzy picture of Dad and Cliff sitting with some women other than their wives.]




[And here is a picture of me standing next to a snowman that probably wasn't made out of real snow. This is one of those rare photos in which my clothes appear to fit and you can't see that growing belly of mine.]




[Before we cover the New Year's Eve party at our apartment, here is a picture of all of the guests except one, I think.]




[The people in the back row are Cliff, Suzie Dirr, Gene Dirr, Hartford (Christmas Eve guest), Barbara Hansen (red dress), and Erland Hansen. The people in the front row are Ginger and Lynn (Cliff's stepdaughters), and Mary (Cliff's wife). I'm pretty sure Hartford's girlfriend was there, too, because in the same area of the photo album there is a picture of him and his girlfriend sitting on our couch, and she isn't mentioned in the letter describing Christmas Eve.]

[In that group photo it looks like Erland may be holding a camera in his left hand. The table is set up for serving a lot of food, so I'm sure everyone had a great time.]


Now for the party, which was a complete bust!

[Well, maybe everyone didn't have a great time.]


Mary allowed her girls to stay up for the whole thing and they were so loud and silly that they were the whole party, much to everyone's disgust (except Gene and Suzie). I've never seen kids behave in such a manner and get by with it. To top that - The Dirrs brought their puppy.

[Oh good, a one-bedroom apartment with 13 people milling about, plus a puppy that isn't housebroken. Let the fun begin!]


We couldn't believe it. After several new puddle circles on our rug and shooing it away from hosiery, I blew! I told (not asked) Gene to take the damn pup home and not bring it back. Dave backed me up all the way, bless his heart. Does that sound like me? Gene took the pup home, but unfortunately, he and Suzie stayed - she in my bathroom crying and he making a general nuisance of himself. As I said before, the girls and the Dirrs were so loud and silly that no one else could talk. That was our party - "The Sandbox Crowd." Everyone stayed until midnight and we ate (food was good - ham, potato salad, black-eyed peas, cornbread) then all left and I didn't blame them one bit.
Monday morning I just said, "To hell with it!" I stayed in bed until 10 o'clock, fixed only coffee for breakfast (except the girls and David Wayne had Toast'Em Pop-Ups), and I wrapped up ham, bread and potato salad for them to eat and just sent them on their merry way. The rest of the day was spent with relaxing and just talking, talking, talking.

[Can you tell Mom was a little upset? That late trip to the airport on Christmas Day made it the best Christmas ever, and now the puppy and the loud young girls made it the best New Year's Eve ever. I bet Mom and Dad breathed a huge sigh of relief when our company left.]

[This concludes Part 3 of the January 4 letter. I'll post the 4th and final part on January 4.]

No comments:

Post a Comment