Wednesday, January 10, 2018

January 10, 1968: Baby flies

Letter postmarked January 8, 1968:

The CCZCC extends its winning streak to 16.


Dear Mother and Mike,
We read in the paper this morning that it was 13 degrees in Dallas. Are you frozen? Jack Frost must be working hand-in-hand with Sears on trying to get you to install that new furnace. Convinced? Come on out to L. A. with us - I wear a sleeveless dress or Bermuda shorts with sandals during the day. When I go out I do put on a long-sleeve dress, but no coat. Usually, I only wear a light sweater at night. Now, don't you hate me? We have "endured? a total of three cold days this winter.

[My grandmother's house was built in 1945. I'm sure it had plenty of insulation. Not.]


The weather is the only good thing about L. A. though - I'm ready to come home. Dave dropped me a bombshell Saturday night - he wants me and David Wayne to fly back to Texas (didn't say exactly when) and him stay here. It seems that he is preparing me for a slight possibility that this damn job won't be over by April. You should be proud of your son-in-law as he is only thinking of me and David Wayne - not himself. His valid arguments are: (1) I would have my own doctor deliver the baby, (2) There would be someone to keep David Wayne while I am in the hospital, (3) I would hopefully have you to take care of me when I come home from the hospital. There is another point on his side that he knows better than to bring up and that is that it would be much much cheaper.

[Oh boy, it's getting interesting now. Decisions, decisions.]


I found out from Barbara Hansen that Dave has been very concerned about all this for a long time. It's the hardest decision I've ever faced and I just don't know. I can't stand the thought of being separated from Dave for weeks. (And let's face it, I'd have to leave a month before the baby is due - I can't very well board an airplane at the beginning of labor.) I would hate for Dave to receive news of a son or daughter via telephone. And more than anything - I want my husband with me.
I don't have to make a decision until the end of February and maybe - just maybe - the job will be coming to a close by then. Dave says that the final decision is up to me and that if I am stubborn about staying here, he'll do everything he can to help me. Barbara has offered to keep David Wayne . . .

[Wait, why can't I stay with Gene and Suzie? Wouldn't that be more fun?]


. . . and Dave says that if you can get off work, he'll pay your expenses to fly out here and take care of me. Can you believe that a man is willing to "miss out" on the birth of a first baby just so the wife will have less to worry about?

[Well, there's also that issue of Dad not wanting a foreign-born child.]
I'm glad you got to visit with Sara but I sure hate to hear that she's sick again. I've tried to compose a letter to her, but I just don't know what or how to say anything.

[Don't worry too much about Aunt Sara's illness. She just turned 99 years old this past Christmas (December 25, 2017).]


David Wayne is having a lot of fun playing with his Matchbox cars and road set now. Did I write you that we had to teach him how to play cars? This morning he has been playing with some flash cards (alphabet ones) that he got in his stocking. He's finally learning the small letters as well as the capital letters. We also have a captured caterpillar in the bug catcher which gets a lot of attention. I woke up from my nap yesterday and found all the toys missing from the floor. On questioning David Wayne, I discovered that he had packed all of his toys for the trip home. We used to tell him we'd go home after Christmas - well, it's after Christmas and he wants to go home.

[It seems as though I've been taking things too literally for a long time.]


Flash! Suzie has taken a screen test! Gene called Dave yesterday at work and told him about it. It seems Suzie saw an ad about a free screen test and thought that she would try to get in the movies. Gene thought that it was great and that she would be qualified. Erland Hansen told me yesterday afternoon (Barbara and I picked them up) that Dave was just speechless when he hung up the phone. All the men knew something had really "shaken" him. Finally, he could no longer keep quiet so he told them - well, you can imagine their reaction, they just howled!
A California man said that these free screen tests were a long-standing hoax in L. A. You go in and have a free interview, then they tell you that you're a potential star, and then the screen test runs you about $300 - or more! Nothing comes from the test except a leaner pocketbook.

[I did not find Suzie or Susan Dirr at IMDB, so she must have changed her name before she became a star.]


The nicest thing I can say is - I hope they get whatever they deserve. Truthfully, did she look like a starlet on TV? The Hansens and I laughed at Dave yesterday until we cried. He said if that's what they were looking for in the movies that he's never go to another one! I am dying of curiosity to find out the results, but Dave says it would be better if I didn't go over there and get things started up again - he's right as always.
Another bit of news and then I'll stop. Remember that alcoholic school teacher that lived by us - the one that drank "cough syrup" at school? Well, she hooked a man and is to be married in June. So never give up hope for Aunt Sara, if that neurotic woman can get a man!

[That's right. Never give up hope. Aunt Sara married her second husband in July of 1969.]


I've been catty enough so I'll close quickly. Take care.


Love,
Linda
P. S. - This baby kicks so much at night that my stomach is sore every morning.

[Early cheerleading practice?]

No comments:

Post a Comment