Saturday, December 30, 2017

December 30, 1968: Little help. Very little.

Letter postmarked January 4, 1968 (Part 1):

The CCZCC starts the year off right by extending its streak to 14.

Much like the Thanksgiving and Christmas letters, the January 4 letter covers several days, some of which are more than worthy of their own post, so I'm breaking it up into sections. Today is Part 1, covering through Friday, December 29, 1968.


Dear Mother and Mike,


I got your letter and Christmas card today. I surely was glad to hear from you, although I haven't even had time to be homesick for the last two weeks. I believe in my last letter I told you all about puppy trouble, parties, and late hours of the week preceding Christmas. Christmas itself was wild, then the week after Christmas was parties every night until Cliff, wife and two teenage daughters visited us Friday night - arrival 7 PM. From then on there was no rest and even today, after spending all morning asleep, I'm still worn out.


Oh, yes, and there is this "little trouble" of being anemic. After four shots I feel no better, but hopefully, I can rest now. Dave has been wonderful. He came home from work at noon Friday and spent all afternoon vacuuming, scrubbing, and taking me to buy groceries. When Cliff came, Dave helped me get a quick supper on the table and he did all the work of fixing beds for everyone. I certainly received no help from the two teenage girls. They couldn't make beds, clean out a tub, wash dishes, set table, etc. -- nothing, and their mother doesn't make them. We ran out of clean towels and washrags, so Dave washed for me while they were here and Cliff was a jewel about fixing extra coffee and washing dishes. Poor Cliff - he can't do a thing with these girls and Mary just doesn't try or even back Cliff up when he does get on to them. I received a dirty look from Mary when I told the girls I'd whip them if they didn't quit jumping on my bed. I know you shouldn't talk to houseguests that way, but enough is enough. Dave had his fill of them, too - he told the youngest girl that she could sit on the floor if she didn't sit right in our weak dining chairs - she was just rocking back and forth in it.

[Ok, this weekend of company is getting off to a great start. We have a one-bedroom apartment with three residents and four guests for the weekend. Two of those guests are teenagers who don't help and are out of control. This should be good. It might even better than a puppy.]

No comments:

Post a Comment