Tuesday, December 26, 2017

December 26, 1967: The Unexpected Guest

Letter postmarked December 28, 1967 (dated December 26) (Part 2):

Here's Part 2 of the letter Mom started writing the day after Christmas in 1967. Today we'll cover the Saturday and Sunday before Christmas Day.


We just rested most of the day Saturday and about 9:30 that night Hartford Jenkins came. Now, Hartford is another Texas examiner - the fat one that Linda Kay and I do not like. He comes to Los Angeles all the time and has many friends here. Since Dave is very fond of Hartford, he invited him to come eat with us Sunday. I was nervous about cooking my first turkey and dressing and I sure hadn't planned on company, but what could I say?

[I remember Hartford from a few times when he came to our house in Texas. He was a really big guy, especially considering what was "normal" in 1967. I'd describe him as the stereotypical jolly, cigar-smoking fat man. Give him a long white beard and a red hat and he's Santa Claus. Here's a picture of him standing next to me and the Santa pinata that night.]




[You can't help but feel a little sorry for Mom for finding out less than 24 hours before her first big holiday meal that there is an extra mouth to feed, it's somebody she doesn't particularly care for (unbeknownst to me until I read this letter), and this person apparently likes to eat. A lot.]


I cooked most of the day Sunday and we ate around five o'clock. My "first dinner" was a gigantic success - please don't think I'm conceited because no one was more surprised than I.
Dave and Hartford both said that it was the best dressing they had ever eaten - what's more they both ate enough to make me believe they meant it! Everything turned out delicious and Dave was so proud of me and Hartford bragged so that I felt like a queen. Here's what we had: Turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, fresh green beans (the kind you start snapping at the break of dawn), fresh corn (cut off the cob), fruit salad with whipped cream dressing, hot sourdough rolls, and for dessert (that no one could eat until the next day), pumpkin pie and whipped cream. Calories! I know it was just beginner's luck, but the turkey was juicy, dressing moist, everything turned out well and I am so proud. David Wayne ate so much turkey that I expected him to "gobble, gobble" and Dave has eaten more dressing than any four men could.

[Here's a picture of Dad carving the turkey while I'm chowing down on the drumstick.]




[Here's a picture of me, Mom and Hartford sitting at the table with the meal Mom prepared. Yes, I'm still working on that drumstick.]




[I'm really glad the meal turned out well for Mom, especially with the last-minute guest. She was obviously a little nervous about it in the weeks leading up to it, based on the previous letters.]

[We'll conclude Part 2 of this letter here. Part 3 will cover the remainder of Christmas Eve and then Christmas Day. And remember these wise words from Donkey in Shrek The Halls: "Christmas ain't Christmas till somebody cries!"]

No comments:

Post a Comment