Thursday, December 28, 2017

December 28, 1967: Iron and ironing

Letter postmarked December 28, 1967 (Part 5):

Here is the 5th and final part the letter Mom started writing the day after Christmas in 1967. She started writing this part of the letter the afternoon of Wednesday, December 27.


More bad news - I went to the doctor this morning. He took one look at my pale cheeks and eyes and then gave me a hemoglobin test - I am anemic! If you could see me, you'd laugh, but I guess the test doesn't lie. I knew I was tired but I thought it was just from spending Christmas with a five-year-old. Anyway, I have to take iron shots twice a week at least for three weeks.


That's not all - he had me bring in David Wayne. He thinks he might also be low on iron but he will send his test off to a lab. Then he poked and prodded around on David Wayne, gave him a tubercular scratch test, took a urine specimen, weighed him, etc. I don't know whether the good ol' doc needs to pay his Christmas bills or what but he said something about checking the urine for kidney trouble (scared me after the way he looked at his eyes.) If I know my husband, he'll be so upset that he'll send us back to Texas.

[More medical drama for both me and Mom. That's just what she needs on top of being pregnant.]

[The remainder of the letter was written Thursday morning, December 28.]


I am closing this letter quickly so Dave can mail it for me. It's turning into a diary!
This has been and will continue to be a busy time for us until next week sometime - 'tis the season to be jolly! Last night we were invited to Dave's boss' house, tonight we're going to the Hansen's, and Friday Cliff, wife and two daughters are coming for the weekend. My house looks like a tornado hit it, we have no clean clothes or linens, and our dead Christmas tree is falling down all by itself! And it is an effort for me to put one foot in front of the other - all I want to do is sleep.

[It looks like the busy holiday season for Mom and Dad continues through New Year's Day, and Mom has to deal with anemia on top of all that. Well, at least things aren't as boring as they were a few months ago.]


I will try to call you soon if I get the chance - probably next week. I hope you and Mike enjoyed Christmas. We're going to have copies made of pictures, so you'll get those later. By the way, did Mike get his money stocking in time?
Love,
Linda
P. S. Save the best for last - my favorite gift was the story you wrote about "Rowdy." I read it out loud to David Wayne and he thoroughly enjoyed it. I've also loaned it out to Barbara - I don't think Suzie would appreciate it. Thank you so much for sending it.

[I'll let you read the story of Rowdy after the letter covering New Year's Day.]

No comments:

Post a Comment