Tuesday, December 19, 2017

December 19, 1967: Sock puppy

Letter postmarked December 19, 1967 (dated Tuesday):

The CCZCC has now tied the old record of 11. And there was much rejoicing!


Dear Mother,

[You might think Uncle Mike is slighted once again in the salutation, but this envelope was indeed only addressed to my grandmother. You'll see why.]


I am enclosing this little sock and a check for Mike. Would you mind getting this check cashed and then stuffing the money in the sock? Then you can use your imagination on how to present it to him - hang on tree, put in envelope, etc. I hate to ask you to do this, but we are afraid to send money through the mail. Also, please let me know if and when it gets there as I am just hoping it will make it on time. I'm not too happy about giving Mike just money, but under the circumstances we both think this would be more practical. And if he doesn't appreciate the sock, just save it for me - I thought it was the cutest thing I'd ever seen.


This is my big week - a baby, a puppy, and a five-year-old that is excited to death. That's not all, either, as I have to make two trips to the airport with all three - once to take Suzie and once to take Gene.


Yesterday was my first day with the baby and it was just too easy - David Wayne did most of the work and I just sat back and watched. He's just wonderful with the baby. I know Linda Kay will want to "borrow" David Wayne so she can get her house cleaned. The little boy, Eric, is a good baby - eats well, goes to sleep with only a minimum of crying, and has a general good disposition.


All hell broke loose last night when they brought the pup over - the pup was excited (just ran around and wet on everything), David Wayne was excited, and Dave and I were just a wee bit peeved with the Dirrs. We had to put the puppy in the bathroom to sleep as he would just love to tear up packages around the Christmas tree. Yes, she whined all night because she's been sleeping in bed with Suzie and Gene.

[Taking care of the Dirr's puppy is getting off to a good start. This should be a good source of drama.]


I've got to close now because Dave has to mail this for me. It's raining so I'll have to take him to work - with a sleepy five-year-old, and a baby (no car seat - that should be fun).

[Car seats? We don't need no stinkin' car seats!]

[Don't worry about us not having a car seat for the baby. We weren't wearing seat belts back then, either.]

[Before the 1960s, the purpose of child seats in cars was to hold the child so an adult (or larger child) didn't have to, and to prop the child up so he or she could see out the window. That was pretty much it. Child safety seats weren't invented until 1962, and the first car seat regulations were implemented in 1971. Those regulations simply required car seats to use a seat belt and a harness, and no crash tests were required until 1981. Children under a certain age weren't even required to ride in a car seat in all 50 states until 1985.]


I have to keep the car because I take Suzie to the airport (I'll be gone during the time Eric is usually taking his nap). I just don't know whether I'll make this week or not. Oh yes, the Sivells are coming over tonight so when I get back from the airport (if I get back) I have refreshments to make, house to clean and deodorize, and all of this while keeping one eye on David Wayne, two eyes on the baby, and I need a dozen eyes to watch the pup!


Love,


Linda


P. S. Did you ever get the other package I sent you - not the broken one?

No comments:

Post a Comment