Monday, February 19, 2018

January 2, 1968: Letter from Joan

The letter in today's post is not a letter from Mom, but rather a letter Mom received from Joan Gambill, one of her high school classmates (Denton High School, class of 1959) who wrote to her in January. Mom first mentioned this letter in the letter postmarked January 8 when she stated how funny it was and that she would send it to my grandmother to read after she replied. Mom mentioned it again in her January 31 letter when she said that she still had not written Joan back. There are some funny parts and good deal of "discussion" of their high school classmates, plus some interesting perspectives on how things were back in 1968. Other than the names of Joan and her husband I'll use initials instead of the full names of the high school classmates. The typed letter (one page front and back) was dated January 2, 1967 (should have been 1968).
Happy New Year!
One of my New Year's resolutions this year is to get in touch with friends that I haven't seen in some time --- and you're top of the list. I saw your mother in Russell's and I got your address.
I don't even know where to begin! First of all, Bill and I are living in Miami, Florida (Actually it is Coral Gables, a suburb of Miami). We are both working. Bill is an accountant for Esso Inter-America and I am in the Public Relations Department of three banks (they are owned by the same man). Both of us have good jobs and we absolutely love Miami. It is just fantastic here! We don't have any kiddies as of yet. We had a bit of trouble in that department, but everything seems to be straightened out now (I'm not talking about personal trouble -- MEDICAL trouble). All kinds of little gadgets were out of whack, and we're just now getting them in order. (NOT THOSE GADGETS, LINDA -- get your mind out of the gutter!) Let me clear up any misunderstanding right here. There is nothing wrong with my sex life -- it is enchanting. As Bill once said . . . we don't have any kids yet, but it's fun trying!
[Too bad we don't have Mom's reply to this letter. On second thought, maybe that's a good thing.]
Bill and I went to Texas for Christmas. MRB had a reunion of the old gang in high school and it was absolutely fascinating to see everyone again. I saw people that I haven't seen in seven years! Now that makes me feel old! I saw people like CF (remember him?), JH, TPB, JB, DR, BS, LMW, etc. I just couldn't believe it! SS was supposed to come, but she is still recuperating from her divorce and didn't feel up to it. Also, MJM is divorced but she was there (still pudgy but looks very good).
[MJM was homecoming queen. SS was a nominee for homecoming queen.]
Anyway, it was a wild affair, and I didn't realize until after the fifth glass that the punch was spiked. (I noticed then only because I found myself getting louder and louder and telling people to their faces that they were fat).
JBB and I went together. BB left for Viet Nam on the 20th of December which is a heartbreaking story.
[JBB and BB were in the same high school class.]
She had her little baby boy on the 15th of November while BB was still in California. He was home long enough to see the baby for 8 days and then had to leave. It is just sickening --- especially since he had to leave right before Christmas.
[Although it wasn't stated here, there's a good chance BB was drafted into the military. That's something most of us today can't imagine, since the draft in the US ended in 1973.] [Fun fact: As of November of 2014 there were no longer any soldiers in the US Army who were drafted during the Viet Nam era. The last one retired after a 42-year career.]
Anyway, we went together to the reunion. (Bill stayed at home since he knows no one in the "group.") JBB and I had a fine time (especially after about three glasses of that punch.) That was the most well-concealed booze I have ever had because I am not a drinker and therefore I immediately taste the stuff -- but not this time -- it was Vodka.
EB and LB are living in Denton. E is teaching in Lewisville and L gets his masters degree this year. No kids.
Bill and I just love Miami. It is so warm and such a fun place to live. We go to the dog races, to the beach and last week we saw Harry Belafonte on Miami Beach. [Day-O!] There is always something to do. I never thought I could leave Denton, but honest to Pete now that I am away, I would never go back. It's really funny. I thought I would cry and carry on to go "home" but this is my home now, and I was glad to get back here after Christmas.
I hope you are doing well. Your mother told me you were expecting. That's great. Write to me and tell me all about yourself and what you are doing, what your husband is doing, etc. (no need to give intimate details -- I still have some imagination.)
After that reunion the other night, I got really tickled thinking about how people were then compared to them now. For instance, I remember what a big thing it was to run for Favorite. What a joke that was.
[The Favorites categories in Mom's high school yearbook were:] Most Beautiful Girl Most Handsome Boy (BB was a nominee.) Most Versatile Girl (MJM won. JBB was a nominee.) Most Versatile Boy (JH won.) Friendliest Girl (SS won.) Friendliest Boy Typical Girl (Joan was a nominee.) Typical Boy (DB won.) Athletic Favorite Senior Favorite (JB and LMW were nominees.)
For instance, everybody thought that JH would wind up being at least President of the United States -- I mean he was THE man, remember? Well, he's a draft dodger, teaching school on an Indian reservation in Montana and hating every minute of it.
Then there was DB, Most Versatile. [Actually, he won the Typical Boy category. See above.] He can fix a car and that is about it. (I don't mean to sound catty. I like DB very much -- I'm just thinking about high school.) Then there was SS, friendliest girl. She was so friendly that she didn't even show up at the reunion or call to say that she wasn't coming. Let's see -- oh yes -- Joan Gambill -- typical girl. Tell me. Have you ever known anyone LESS typical than me?
Well, I could go on, but I think you get the point. Values change as time goes by. Look at the hippies now. When we were in high school, if you smoked cigarettes you were an instant hussy. Now it's POT. Also, if boys wore their blue jeans below their waist, they were evil.
[How about boys wearing pants so low there are several inches of underwear showing? "Pants on the ground, pants on the ground. Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground!"]
Now it's hair down to the knees! I guess it is all just part of the growing up process. And I wouldn't trade those days for anything -- I'm just glad they are memories instead of realities now.
Gotta run. Write when you have a chance. I will put my address and married name below.
Love,
Joan
[Full name and address, with "Excuse messy typing!" handwritten below that.] [In contrast to Mom and Dad's situation in L. A., it sounds like Joan and Bill are perfectly happy living in Miami and have no intention of returning to Texas. Joan's letter also gives us a little insight into the personal side of the Viet Nam war, as well as the ever-changing values of society less than a decade after her high school graduation. And who among us wouldn't enjoy checking up on our high school classmates to see if their future success aligned with their high school success or standing among their peers?] [Joan's letter was a nice little detour. Tomorrow we will resume with our regularly scheduled programming.]

No comments:

Post a Comment