Monday, February 26, 2018

February 26, 1968: Planning and Packing

Letter postmarked February 28, 1968: I believe this letter was written Monday or Tuesday, February 26 or 27. The CCZCC extends its winning streak to 28.
Dear Mother and Mike,
Maybe I can do better on corresponding this week. The post office holiday fouled me up last week - also I ran out of stamps and envelopes. More than anything, though, I'm just excited about coming home and I can't seem to be able to get anything organized - thoughts, packing, etc.
Dave didn't get around to calling the airport last week so I still haven't been able to make definite plans. This special "night coach" just runs on certain days (I have no idea which days) so I can't say for sure - around March 3 though. I hope none of you mind us coming in at night, but it's so much cheaper that I can't see doing it any other way. I wish we'd known about this flight when you came out - on second thought, I don't think it was available then.
[That's the first mention of a possible departure date. I guess we aren't going to take that trip to San Diego.]
We did quite a bit of packing on Thursday as Dave had a holiday. We have accumulated so much "junk" since July it's just unbelievable. Even if I get things packed, I don't see how Dave will squeeze things in the car.
[It's a 1965 Pontiac Bonneville. No problem.]
Your letter really puzzled me about Les Mills. I will be anxious to hear about that and even more anxious to hear about the Hawaii trip. Ye Gads! - they aren't really serious about Mike going? I was awfully proud of Mike when he refused that trip this summer - and I sure hope he says "no" to this proposal.
I was so glad to read that Mike was going to work this summer. I sure hope he does as, personally, I think it's the best experience for a young person. I know I didn't like it at the time, but when I really think about it now, work was the best thing I ever did. You know, I'm glad Mike has gone all these places, but if he goes everywhere what can he look forward to when he gets older?
I certainly appreciate Wayne getting the car ready for me. Did you say he put on a new tire? I guess I'll just wait until I get home to settle with him. You also said Bob was with him - did you mean Jim Pyland?
[The car being referred to here was my mother's car, which I'm guessing was something like a 1964 Chevy Bel Air, or perhaps a Biscayne.]

I didn't get the letter in time to send Daddy a birthday card. I knew his birthday was in February but I never even thought about it until too late. Linda had never told me about the picture they got from Daddy. You and Mike will get a kick out of this: A few weeks ago we received a letter from Adelia. (She doesn't write very often because she says her hand fits a hammer better than a pencil.) In the letter she mentioned that the weather had been terrible and that all of their yard was one big mud puddle. She always puts in one or two lines especially for David Wayne and it's always been something about their livestock. In this letter she wrote, "Tell David Wayne that my cats have been going crazy running all over the yard trying to find a dry place to crap." When I read the letter, I just howled but I wish you could have seen Dave's face as he read it - his reaction was funnier to me than what she wrote. We did not pass the information on to David Wayne.
[Well, crap. I missed out on a good laugh there. I do remember one instance during my pre-teen or teenage years when I used the word "crap" in a similar context and I was surprised Mom considered that foul language.]
I just can't believe I'll be home in a few days. I am kinda leery about seeing Dr. Tatum because I never wrote him. I must see him immediately - say like the day after I get home. I really think that I should be taking some kind of vitamin K (?) or something for my blood. The doctor out here said (this was way back in September when he thought I'd be his patient only a couple of months) that my Texas doctor would probably prescribe something since he knew about the bleeding problem. I forgot about it and the doctor forgot about it, so I'm not taking anything. When last I saw Dr. Tatum he said I had a cyst and he also gave me another prescription for the "pill." I'm going to walk in his office and say, "I'm going to have a cyst in a couple of weeks." When I do find out for sure what flight I'll take, I'll call you. Then you better call Dr. Tatum for me and make an appointment - the soonest one you can get. This may even qualify as an emergency!

[Now that we know Mom had a prescription for birth control pills at the time, the question we'll probably never know the answer to is whether or not she was trying to get pregnant while we were in Los Angeles. Initially I would think not since they surely didn't want to run the risk of having, as my dad would say, a foreign-born child. On the other hand, when we first moved there they thought we'd be moving back before Christmas, so maybe she was trying to get pregnant.]

We had a lovely weekend - weather wise and all. David Wayne caught bugs outside and he wore short pants, light T-shirt, and went barefoot. Even with that dress, he had to come into the house to cool off - we ran our air conditioner all weekend.
Saturday I felt kinda blah - I hadn't slept too well Friday night. Dave had to get a haircut and when he returned he brought me a bouquet of flowers. Remember that little flower stand not too far from our apartment? You commented on the sign "BOKAYS." Well, he had walked to the barber shop instead of driving, just so he could go by there and get them. I was just delighted with them. He also offered to cook supper that night. I hadn't planned on that so I didn't have the right kind of meat for cooking out. Well, the food was not a success and after we took about three bites, Dave said, "Get dressed you two, let's go eat out." David Wayne jumped up from that table and was dressed in two minutes, but it took me a little longer - five minutes. We moved so fast, poor Dave was stunned and didn't have a chance to back out. I left dishes, food, etc. on the table and we went over to the Bull 'n Bush for a delicious meal of prime rib. We really made a mistake introducing David Wayne to prime rib as he can eat as much as anyone. You know how the waiters come around after you finish and ask you about dessert? Well, Saturday night this happened and Dave said no and I shook my head no, but David Wayne said, "Nothing for me, thank you." The waiter took about two steps away from our table, stopped, looked back at David Wayne, and then started smiling. Later, we could see him telling everyone in the place about the little boy.
[If he only knew what a little hellion I could be the rest of the time . . .]
Sunday we sat outside with David Wayne most of the afternoon. He played with all his Matchbox cars. Dave is full of surprises - he suggested we call the Hansens and eat out again! This we did and, as always, enjoyed being with them.
Today I've got to get busy and pack some more. Dave promised to call the airport today and check on when I can leave. He knows we have to leave and he wants me to, but still he hates to set a definite departure date. Things will be awfully quiet without David Wayne around and I don't think Dave is going to be happy - he's used to David Wayne's noise and my moans and groans. He gets a big kick just watching me getting up and down from a chair with my big stomach - who is he going to laugh at? A lot of men would enjoy being away from their wife and kids for a week or so, but not Dave. He's really a nut - yesterday as we sat outside, he said, "I wish I could be home mowing the yard." This from the man that told me before we married that he wanted green concrete for a lawn!
[Dad did like mowing the yard, and one of his favorite things to do was stand outside on the front porch and watch the grass grow.]
I better get this in the mail or I'll never get anything done. I'll call soon.
Love,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment