Friday, February 9, 2018

February 8, 1968: Bugs not bugs

Letter postmarked February 8, 1968 (Part 2, written February 7 and 8):


Well, I must close (it's morning now). I have to get dressed for the big shopping trip. Dave slept well last night and didn't talk in his sleep about the money I'm going to spend. You never have commented on his talking in sleep and I thought you'd really get a bang out of that.
By the way, have I ever mentioned to you that Dave smokes cigars now? He started it Christmas when Hartford was here. Thought I might better warn all of you. It doesn't bother me and he's very considerate - doesn't smoke them in the car (too close), nor does he smell up other people's houses. David Wayne loves it because he gets all the cigar boxes.

[I do remember having cigar boxes for craft projects, such as that Christmas gift I gave to Dad. I can also remember occasionally making a guitar out of a cigar box and rubber bands. I know Dad didn't smoke cigars consistently after we moved back to Texas, it was more of an occasional thing as I recall.]


I really must go now. I wonder what David Wayne will pull on me and Barbara today. As Barbara says, it's always an adventure when we take David Wayne places - sometimes he behaves so well and other times he's got so much energy that we come home exhausted. Barbara is very thoughtful - she is knitting a beautiful shawl-type carriage cover for our baby. So not to make David Wayne become jealous, she told him she was knitting it for him to give his baby brother or sister. Every time we go over there, he has her get out "his" knitting and let him see how it is coming along.

[Written February 8]


I didn't get this mailed yesterday before we left, so I'll just tell you about yesterday. We started out by walking the few blocks to Barbara's apartment and David Wayne found two slimy worms on the way. Naturally, he wanted to show them to Barbara, but I didn't figure she'd care for worms so we found them a home in the plant box outside. Then we got Barbara and walked about half a block to the bus stop - on the way David Wayne (yes, in just that short distance) collected 6 bugs (the roll up in a ball kind).

[Roly poly. Pill bug. Scientific name Armadillidiidae. Here are some interesting facts I didn't know about roly polies until I looked for the scientific name:

They aren't bugs. They're crustaceans, more closely related to shrimp and crayfish than any insect. (FYI, worms aren't bugs either.)

They don't pee. Instead they secrete ammonia gas through their exoskeleton.

They can drink with their mouth. Or with their anus.

They eat their own poop because they need the copper.

https://www.thoughtco.com/fascinating-facts-about-pillbugs-1968438]


I didn't notice them until we were already on the bus. Barbara and I sat across the aisle from him and watched him taking care of his treasures - so did everyone else on the bus! The bugs made the bus ride fine and David Wayne carefully carried them off the bus. Then as we were walking along the street, a blind man with a seeing eye dog ran into David Wayne - he fell down and doodle bugs scattered all over the sidewalk! He cried for the next three blocks.

[Stupid blind guy! Watch where you're going!]


To make him feel better about the loss of his bugs, we took him to Angels Flight, the world's shortest railroad. So David Wayne really had a big day - his first bus ride and first train ride! Add to this the miles and miles of escalators and elevators we traveled and you get a very excited little boy.

[Oooh, escalators and elevators. Foreshadowing?]


We shopped all the big department stores and finally I bought one on sale for $11. It's a cute little navy and white dress. I can dress it up to wear at night or wear it just plain for daytime.

[That first sentence actually means Mom bought a department store for $11.]


After getting the shopping done we caught the first bus home - we were all three dead. We must have looked dead because Erland and Dave took us out to eat last night. David Wayne was just too tired to misbehave so the meal was wonderful. My feet were so swollen and tired and sore last night, I could hardly walk. Today I think I'll just stay in bed all day.


Got to close and get this mailed. Take care and write often.


Love,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment