Tuesday, February 20, 2018

February 16, 1968: Baby prep, moving prep

Letter postmarked February 16, 1968: The CCZCC extends its winning streak to 26. FYI, this is post number 150. We probably won't make it to 200.
Dear Mother and Mike,
I have absolutely no "news" to write since the last time I wrote, but I thought I better let you know we're still alright. Barbara Hansen's parents have been visiting her all week so she hasn't been over to get me out of the apartment. I have really missed seeing her and going places with her. Suzie came over yesterday afternoon, but there is a difference of listening to someone (all I can do with Suzie) and talking with someone (like Barbara and I do.)
[Ain't it the truth?]
Suzie came over and told me all about how it was going to be during her pregnancy and delivery. Since she's had "all this medical training," she knew all about everything. At one point she informed me, "having a baby is equivalent to major surgery, you know." Why how would I know? I've only had a baby, never had all that medical training myself. She is really sumpin' but Dave and I can't figure out what - Dave has a name but I dare not put it in a letter. You'll never believe this but Gene wants to go into the delivery room with her (yes, I said delivery, not labor) and take pictures with their movie camera. Now, if that doesn't give you some idea of why they disgust us so much, nothing I could ever tell you will. We never go around them though, so the only time we have to put up with them is when they visit us - which hasn't been too often since New Year's.
Being with the Hansens has offset the bad of being with the Dirrs. All three of us just love Erland and Barbara and can have more fun with them. To illustrate David Wayne's fondness for them, I'll tell you what he said one night: We were talking about going home and David Wayne was raving on about this being a "no-good" town, etc. Then he stopped raving and said, "I want to go back to Texas, but I sure will miss Barbara and Erland - I like them."
[I guess my parents didn't try to keep it a secret from me how unhappy they were in L. A., if I was ranting about what a no-good town it was.]
Yesterday was Valentine's Day and David Wayne was fluttering around like it was Christmas. He made cards for me and Dave and he enjoyed sending cards to all of you in Texas. We also had him send one to the Sivells and the Hansens. The Hansens gave him a box of candy and a huge Valentine that rocks back and forth. Dave really surprised me by saying that he would get something for David Wayne from us. You know, I do all shopping and gift buying, so this suggestion of his put me in a state of shock. Dave picked out a really cute card and then he got him a bunch of comic books. David Wayne loves comic books and he can recognize many of the words that are used over and over in them. Also, after I read them to him once or twice, he "reads" them back to me - practically word for word. By the way, we try to be careful in the books we select - Walt Disney books are good, also Casper is another favorite of his. Dave got him a Batman comic book a few weeks ago but David Wayne doesn't look at it as much as he does the others.
[I remember having a few comic books when I was very young, but I don't recall ever reading them much after I learned to read. I did love the Batman TV show, though, so it's surprising I didn't look at that comic book too much. Maybe it was a little darker than the campy TV series.]
You'll never guess what David Wayne and I bought for Dave - a pair of underwear with hearts all over them. No, he does not need underwear, but they were so wild and David Wayne had such a fit over them that we got them anyway. Dave said he never expected me to buy him any underwear.
Dave says it'll soon be time to start packing! He's as anxious as David Wayne and me about coming home. I still get in a frenzy thinking about all the work ahead of me in Texas, but I'll still be glad to get home. I'm hoping we can make a trip to San Diego before we leave, but Dave is playing the "stalling" game so I have doubts.
Since I have no other news, I'll close. Take care of yourself and tell Mike to slow down. We'll really be looking forward to our homecoming.
Love,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment