Tuesday, July 25, 2017

July 25, 1967: The Brown Derby

Diary entry for July 25, 1967:

Began reading "Exodus" this morning. Dave still in bad mood. When will this end? I pray to God that it will be soon - for David Wayne's sake. David Wayne and I walked this morning down to Wilshire and then down to Catalina. On the way back bought groceries. I feel very weak today and I just don't care about anything. We did see "The Brown Derby" on our walk. Dave was in a better mood tonight. We had a good supper and went to bed early.

Thank goodness Dad's bad mood has ended, as it was really wearing on Mom.

"Exodus" was a popular book starring Paul Newman.

The Brown Derby was a restaurant chain started in Los Angeles. According to Wikipedia, the one on Wilshire was the original building, which originally opened in 1926 about a block away and was then moved in 1937 to the location in the picture. It did look like a brown derby hat and I know we ate there frequently. In fact, here is a picture of me in front of The Brown Derby on the day we left Los Angeles. Don't I look cute with my plaid shorts and chubby legs?



If you look at the first photo in the Wikipedia article for The Brown Derby (as of today anyway), you should be able to tell exactly where I was standing based on the landscaping. You may also notice the landscaping looks quite a bit like it did in my photo, and you may then wonder if the two photos were taken at approximately the same time. If you then notice the billboard on the right side of the Wikipedia photo, you'll see it mentions someone named Geoff Edwards who was apparently a radio personality on KMPC-710. If you then look at Geoff Edwards' Wikipedia page you'll see that he worked at KMPC-701 from 1968 until 1979. Therefore, the earliest the Wikipedia photo could have been taken was 1968. Since the billboard has a quote from the L. A. Times proclaiming Geoff Edwards to be the personality of the year, I'm going to go with late 1968.

Alas, in 1980 the Brown Derby restaurant on Wilshire was replaced by Brown Derby Plaza, part of which has a crummy little dome.

No comments:

Post a Comment