Tuesday, July 18, 2017

July 18, 1967: Roach Motel

Diary entry for Tuesday, July 18, 1967:
Left El Paso 8:30 and drove till 9:00 - Kon Tiki Inn (200 miles from LA). DW interested in scenery a little bit. Bought him a Bowie Knife and offered to let me use it when Daddy snores. Ate supper in Yuma. Caught a big cockroach for DW in motel room. He kept it in bug catcher and had a lot of fun.
I think this drive is one of my flashback memories of the trip to L. A. It was dark and I remember there wasn't much of anything to see except the long line of red tail lights ahead of us. Sometimes straight, sometimes curved, always long. I knew we were approaching Los Angeles so I was probably hoping to see it appear in the distance any minute.

(Speaking of the drive, my Dad's car was a white 2-door hard top Pontiac Bonneville with red interior. I probably had plenty of room in the back seat.) Yes, my dad was a pretty loud snorer. I'm sure I was awakened at least once per night sharing a motel room with him. I assume I declined my mother's offer of resorting to violence to resolve the issue. We must have stayed at the now closed Kon Tiki Motel in El Centro, California. Too bad it's gone (well, changed its name a time or two) since it had a nice sign: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43943&forum=2 About that motel room with the cockroach . . . Being a state employee I'm sure my dad didn't exactly have a huge salary or an uber-generous expense account, so we definitely didn't stay at any four star hotels. Of course all I cared about when it came to motels that summer was whether or not it had a pool. Yes, I was a typical little boy who liked bugs. Thank goodness my mother wasn't squeamish. I'm sure I was fascinated watching a big cockroach crawl around in my bug catcher, and I was probably sad when I wasn't allowed to take it in the car the next day.




Only 200 miles to L. A. We should get there tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment