Friday, July 28, 2017

July 28, 1967: Tar

Diary entry for July 28, 1967:
I read this morning. Also did some hand washing. Around noon David Wayne and I walked to Beverly Blvd. Found a nice gift shop. I bought an anniversary present for my husband at a jewelry store. This has made me excited all day. Finished "Exodus." Got my first letter from mother which delighted me. Dave took us riding at night and we saw the tar pits on Wilshire Blvd. After that we came home and played Tripoley.

It looks like Mom and Dad's first wedding anniversary is coming up. Slightly odd wording when Mom wrote "my husband" instead of "Dave" or "David" when referring to the gift purchase.

Mom started "Exodus" on July 25 and finished it on July 28. That's considerably shorter than 40 years.

The tar pits Mom is referring to are the La Brea Tar Pits. I definitely remember visiting there. It was one of my favorite places, with depictions of large animals getting stuck in super gooey tar and all that's left of some of them is their bones. How cool is that?

This diary entry does confirm my suspicion that my grandmother probably wrote some letters to my mother while we were in Los Angeles. Oh how I wish I had those letters as well. My grandmother could really write, as evidenced by several examples I have of her writings (fiction and non-fiction) from grade school through college (which she returned to around the age of 50). Some of those writings will make the occasional Facebook appearance.

Tripoley is a board game that combines poker and a couple of card games. Tripoli is the capital of Libya. The first time the US flag was raised in victory on foreign soil was on the shores of Tripoli in 1805. Oorah!

No comments:

Post a Comment