Friday, July 21, 2017

July 21, 1967: No more motels

Diary entry for July 21, 1967:
DW and I took Dave to work then we drove to apt. and unloaded car. We got everything put up and it looks like home now. Dave came home and we went to grocery store. Fairly cheap considering all I bought. I cooked supper and then we just rested and enjoyed spreading out. We went to bed about 10:00 (on twin beds pushed together). Only trouble they weren't same height. DW slept on pallet.
Wasn't I a good little helper? The full address of our apartment was: 215 S. Normandie Avenue, Apt. 2 Los Angeles, CA  90004 That's about midway between Hollywood and downtown Los Angeles, so we were right in the middle of things. It looks like the building is still there based on Google Maps. I don't really recognize it from Google Street View, other than the driveway on the side dipping down from street level with parking underneath the building. I think it was all white when we lived there. Seems like there is quite a bit more security fencing around there, too.

[Edited 8-25-17 to add two pictures and commentary.]

Here is a photo of the front of the apartment building. You can see some of "215" in the upper left corner. The stonework around the stairs appears to still be there as of 2017.



And here is a photo of me standing outside our apartment building on January 7, 1968. This must be the north side of the building. Don't I look stylish in my white button-down shirt, brown pants with wide belt, white socks, and brown sandals or moccasin slippers?


As I recall it was a one bedroom apartment. Walking in the front door there was a kitchen and dining area to the right, and a living room to the left. Straight ahead must have been the bathroom, and I believe a right turn into the bedroom. I think I eventually slept on a cot in what I'm calling the dining area. For those of you unfamiliar with the term "pallet" in this context, it's a makeshift bed (likely some blankets tossed on the floor in this case), not a wooden pallet used for shipping material.

Next up: First weekend in Los Angeles

No comments:

Post a Comment