Monday, November 13, 2017

November 13, 1967: Movie tour deal

Letter postmarked November 13, 1967:

The CCZCC is now at 3.

Dear Mother and Mike,
Well, here it is Sunday afternoon - a lazy one at that! David Wayne is watching television, as usual, and he just finished giving Snappy a bath. Dave has gone to the store to buy some Vel dishwashing liquid and I'm sitting here waiting to do guess what - wash dishes. Due to yesterday's activities, we decided just to stay home today.

[Apparently you really are supposed to bathe a pet turtle or tortoise, according to this WikiHow article: https://www.wikihow.com/Bathe-a-Turtle. Before reading that article I would not have guessed that tortoises drink through their anus.]

[The Vel brand of dishwashing liquid was retired in 2002. That's too bad, because it was marVELous as you can see in this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de8x4gQz3x0]


Now that I've got your curiosity up (I hope) I'll tell you what we did on Saturday. We got up much earlier than usual, dressed, drank coffee, fed David Wayne, and somehow managed to pick up Gene and Suzie on time - then off to NBC. We had tickets to attend the "Let's Make a Deal" show. I don't know whether you've ever seen this one or not, but it's wild. Everyone that wants to be in the show wears some kind of crazy costume - some were way out! Suzie and I loved the program, but, naturally, our stuff-shirt husbands were not impressed. We had Gene and Suzie over to eat supper last night and they stayed until about 11:30 which was really late for us, but we had a lot of fun.

[Yeah, I can see my dad not really getting into the craziness of Let's Make a Deal. Mom would have loved the people-watching, though.]


Saturday wouldn't have worn me out so much if it hadn't followed Friday. Suzie picked me and David Wayne up at 8:00 AM, then we went to NBC and got the tickets for the Saturday show. We were going on the tour at NBC, but we had some time to kill so we went to the Hollywood Bowl. We walked way up to the top and I got a sore muscle in my right leg. I was very impressed with the Hollywood Bowl.
The NBC tour was very good. I'm not saying that I understood everything, but I enjoyed seeing the cameras, stages, props, wardrobe, makeup room, etc. I can even say that I've been in Dean Martin's dressing room and seen his commode and bar - how about that! David Wayne was the only child on the tour, so he got a lot of welcome attention. Our guide even gave him some color film of Jerry Lewis and the NBC peacock. Oh, yes, we got to see the costumes form the "Alice in Wonderland" special which really impressed David Wayne. I was impressed (I sure am using that word a lot, kinda like Aunt Sara's "elegant") with the place where they make props and sets.

[Dean Martin would have been doing "The Dean Martin Show" at the time, which aired weekly from 1965 through 1974.]

[I remember having the film with the NBC peacock, but I have no idea what happened to it, which is a shame if it had Jerry Lewis, too.]


After the tour we paid a small fortune at Grauman's Chinese Theater to see Walt Disney's "The Jungle Book." We sure paid a lot for atmosphere ($2.50 for adults and $1.25 for children). The show that comes before "Jungle Book" is called "Charlie, The Lonesome Cougar" and it is just as good as the main feature. I couldn't really adequately describe the shows, other than to say it was another Walt Disney production all the way. David Wayne laughed until I thought he was going to be sick.

[$2.50 in 1967 purchased about as much as $18 in 2017. Wow, that is a lot to see a movie, although it was a double feature. Per IMDB, here's the storyline for the cougar movie: "When a cougar raised by a group of loggers in the Pacific Northwest reverts to its natural instincts, the consequence could threaten its life." So we saw one movie about a cougar raised by humans, and another movie about a human raised by wolves.]


I'm sorry that your work is so demanding right now. I know that it can really tire you out. Also, I'm sorry Taffy is causing such a problem in the cold weather, but it is a comfort to me that you are taking such good care of her.
Mother, I applaud you for grounding Mike, even though it sounds like he still goes quite a bit. I have a new method of punishment for my little one - television off and he sits in the corner. Boy, does that get him. David Wayne is much more active than Mike was as a child and sometimes I just don't know how to handle him. But this "corner business" will work for awhile - I hope.

[I don't recall ever being told to go sit in the corner, so I guess either it stopped working or I just quit misbehaving.]


I'm anxious for news about Steven Wayne and his mother. Who does the baby look like? Did Linda have any trouble? Is she alright now? Tell me all! And did you get the check okay? Oh, yes, what does Mike think of his new nephew? Did he sit by the bassinet all day when he first saw the little one?
David Wayne refuses to acknowledge that he and his cousin have the same middle name. I told him but he said, "My name is just David Jennings - like my daddy's." David Wayne has really surprised me by not asking any questions about how you get babies. Last night we were watching a movie, "The New Interns," and they showed a scene of a baby being born. I thought to myself, "Oh brother, here come the questions." His reaction: "Did I get spanked when I was a baby?" And that was all. I think he must still be trying to figure out why fish don't get seasick.

["The New Interns" was a 1964 movie that had quite the cast of future TV stars (some uncredited), including Kojak, Jeannie, Mary Ann, Hogan, and The Robot from Lost in Space.]


I will close as I am way behind on letters to answer. I need to write Wayne and Linda, Myrna, Patsy, and the Jennings. Write me soon and just tell Mr. Rigler to go jump in the lake or go run into another door.

[Isn't it nice that people don't have to worry about writing letters any more? Just put your life on Facebook and whoever wants to can read all about it and look at the pictures. You may have to send an occasional email to friends and family who aren't on Facebook, but at least you can send the same email to multiple people and just tailor it a little for each recipient.]

[I believe Mr. Rigler was my grandmother's boss at the time where she worked, which was the Journalism Department at TWU in Denton.]
Love,Linda
P. S. - Mike, instead of writing love letters to Ann during study hall (and I know you don't study), drop us a line or at least send David Wayne a post card.
[Now I think we might know why Uncle Mike got grounded.]

No comments:

Post a Comment