Monday, October 23, 2017

October 23, 1967: Football goats

Letter postmarked October 25, 1967 (part 1):

The CCZCC extends its record-breaking streak to 11. (Nigel Tufnel is pleased.)

(In a future letter we'll find out this letter was written October 23, which is part of the reason I'm posting it now.)

Dear Mother and Mike, 
I hope you both had a fine weekend and that you are still enjoying nice weather in Texas. We are still suffering from smog and you can't imagine how we pine for just an old-fashioned Texas Norther or hail storm or any other kind of "sensible" weather. 
Saturday we stayed home because of a football game - Texas vs. ? Anyway it was important to Dave and since this is the only game he has watched this season, I really didn't mind - besides his team won! After the game he cooked steaks outside - I hope it wasn't a Jewish holiday. The first time we cooked out it was Yom Kippur, a day that Jewish people are fasting. We got some pretty dirty looks that day.

[Cultural sensitivity training has begun.]

[At first I assumed the football game Dad watched that day would have been Texas vs. Oklahoma. But the game played on October 21, 1967 was Texas vs. Arkansas, which, according to Wikipedia, was televised on ABC. Texas won 21 to 12.]

Sunday we went to Jungleland again. We didn't plan on ever going to that place again, but we wanted to take pictures. We especially wanted to get a picture of David Wayne riding the elephant and the big tortoise, but we missed the elephants (they had just put them up) and some big kids had been teasing the tortoise so that he crawled into his home and wouldn't budge (I didn't blame him either.) These same mean kids got the llama stirred up - they would spit at him and he, naturally, would spit back. Thank goodness we saw all this and when I took his picture I stood a great distance back. Another poor unsuspecting woman walked up to the llama and pet it and got a face full of spittle - poor woman! These mean kids were not orphans either - their stupid parents were sitting right there on benches, watching these kids upset all the animals.

[Now we know the pictures of Jungleland I posted previously were probably taken on October 22, 1967.]

We did see some of the smallest baby goats and I think they must have been only a day or two old. They were adorable. We saw a different show this time. Instead of trained lions we saw trained tigers and the world's only woman tiger trainer. She was an old woman and just as funny as you could imagine any old woman with a cage full of tigers as being.

[You want pictures of cute baby goats? Ok, here you go. Here's a picture of me holding a baby goat who appears to be trying to escape.]



[I'm not upset in this picture. Mom's caption is, "It must have been the sun in his eyes because he really liked the little goat."]

[And here's a picture of Dad holding a goat, with me standing next to him trying to shield my eyes from the sunlight.]



[And here's a picture of Mom holding a baby goat, with me standing next to her trying to shield my eyes from the sunlight. (Side note: My four-year-old grandson was also shielding his eyes from the sunlight during some outdoor picture-taking exactly fifty years later, to the day.)]



[Hey, are those my mouse shoes I'm wearing?]



[Yes. I am indeed wearing my mouse shoes to Jungleland. Squeak squeak.]

This is a good point to end Part 1 of this letter. Part 2 will be posted tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment