Thursday, October 12, 2017

October 12, 1967: Spaghetti trot

Letter postmarked October 12, 1967:

The CCZCC now stands at 8.


Dear Mother and Mike,
How are things in "Little D?" What has Mike done exciting and how is his love life? Any news yet from Wayne or Linda on their baby's arrival? I do hope everything goes alright and that Linda won't be too scared. Mother, you might better send Mike to get the baby bed at the jailhouse pretty soon.

[As most of you know, Big D is Dallas and Little D in this context is Denton. I have no idea what "baby bed at the jailhouse" could possibly mean.]


I haven't been to Farmer's Market yet to get any catalogs. I just don't feel like getting out and fighting the traffic. It's not that I feel sick, just lazy. Last Friday I did take David Wayne to Griffith Park where he rode on the little train ride and a pony ride. At the pony ride the man asked him if he wanted to walk or trot. Of course, the little stinker said trot and he really bounced all around the track. Afterwards, he said he didn't like it (he laughed during the whole ride!) and I said, "Why did you say you wanted to trot?" To which he replied, "I didn't know what 'trot' meant." At least he has the spirit of adventure. We also toured the famous "Travel Town" in Griffith Park. It is located right on the top and must be only a few feet from the sun - that is the hottest place I have been. We did go through a passenger car in a train and many things there were interesting. They have there the oldest circus car in the world. It, evidently, was one for lions and it is just like they show in the movies.

[Regarding the pony ride, that sounds exactly like something I would do, say "yes" to something I was offered without inquiring about what it is. Here's a memorable example from 1985, when I was 22 years old. I was on a two- or three-week business trip to Connecticut with a group of coworkers, and one weekend we drove down to New York City. It was my first visit to The Big Apple. I went to dinner with one of the other guys, and when the waiter took our drink orders I asked for tea. The waiter asked if I wanted Long Island iced tea. Having never heard of Long Island iced tea, but with Long Island being one of the boroughs of New York City and me being in New York City for the first time, I said yes, because, well, when in Rome . . . So my Long Island iced tea comes to the table. For those of you unaware, I've had fewer than 10 beers in my lifetime and have never taken more than a sip of liquor at any one time. Thank goodness I wasn't super thirsty and didn't take a big gulp of that "tea" when it arrived. I could tell on that first sip that it didn't taste like any tea I've ever had before, sweet or unsweetened. I did not need a refill. Q: "Why did you ask for a Long Island iced tea?" A: "I didn't know what it was."]


One reason that I don't feel like going out is the smog. I read in the paper this morning that it lacks only a few numbers (0.44 whatever that means) to be at the danger alert stage which is 0.50. Every morning Dave and I feel like we are coming down with a fresh cold - runny eyes and nose. After that clears up later in the morning, our headaches begin - we call them "smog headaches." I'll describe how bad the smog is - you can't see Griffith Observatory! Remember how you could see it going down that big hill on Normandie? That stuff is poison, you know, and I will really be glad when it gets better.

[Griffith Observatory was a little over three miles due north of our apartment on Normandie.]

[I believe the numbers Mom was mentioning in that paragraph are ozone parts per million (ppm). According to an article I found at ozoneservices dot com, 0.50 is the ozone level at which Los Angeles, California, declares its Smog Alert No. 1. It can cause nausea and headaches in some individuals. Extended exposure could cause lung edema (an abnormal accumulation of serous fluid in connective tissue or serous cavity). It enhances the susceptibility to respiratory infections. So I guess it's no wonder Mom and Dad were having issues.]


Last night we ventured out just to have something to do. Really, the reason was because Dave was kinda upset: He was being sweet and helping me drain the spaghetti for supper when the lid slipped and all our supper went down the garbage disposal. I laughed about it, but poor Dave didn't think it was very funny as he had to go to the store and buy more spaghetti (and a strainer, by the way) and wait another 30 minutes for supper.

[I can see Dad being more upset about that incident than Mom was. I bet it was rather funny, though, watching all that spaghetti slide down the drain. Good thinking about buying that strainer.]


Anyway, we left after supper and drove down Sunset Strip - hippie land. I think Dave just wanted to see people who looked sillier than he felt when the slippery spaghetti slipped down the sink. Well, we got lost after turning off the strip and we wound up way on the other side of town. I didn't think we would ever see our apartment again.

[Hello again, hippies. It's been awhile.]


Do you remember the nice little man who came to our apartment building and washed the porch and steps and watered the sidewalk? He's sorta the handyman who comes once a week. I found out from the manager that he is in and out of mental institutions all the time because he sets fires! Boy, do I feel safe now.

[He sounds like an ideal candidate for an apartment complex handyman.]


I guess I will close for now. It is time for my morning nap and then I will eat lunch and take my afternoon nap. On second thought, I may skip the naps today - the handy fire-setter is here today. I'd hate to be burned in my bed!
Love,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment